Having to think of a topic that “fascinates us” the first thing that came to my mind is nature and what is the connection with architecture. Learning from that, what should we think as architects for our propositions? Examples from primitive to contemporary architecture show that our environment has always been inspired from nature.
This topic is huge and has many different ways to approach. There are several things that came to my mind, things that I came across lately in articles, images, discussions…
At a discussion long time ago we commented on how architects and engineers work as a team to design a building. Each specialized person has to deal with a specific part of the building or at a specific stage. It is difficult for one person to have the whole overview of the design.
It would be interesting for me to start from the small scale and inquire the process of the design from that point. To research more on the inner needs of a space in physical and psychological comfort.
One topic I thought, is to try to combine both inspiration from nature and interior comfort for a space and find possible solutions for the design of a facade. To start the research I might have something more specific like visual comfort.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm not sure that this way of looking at it will be sufficiently motivating for you, but can we begin by re-phrasing this topic (from the last sentence of your post) as the question:
ReplyDelete"Which characteristics should a building facade have in order to engender visual comfort for occupants of the building's interior?"
with the hypothesis being that "facade characteristics inspired by nature - such as ... (whatever you want to propose/design and test) - would do so (give visual comfort, etc.)"
Please try writing a few more questions and hypotheses along these lines in order to prepare for your presentation, and also start thinking of ways to test those hypotheses.
André
Hi Isaia
ReplyDeletefrom your current post it maybe most interesting to pick up the aspect to study from the small scale and the inner needs of a space - I assume the needs you refer to are the needs of a user in a space? I think I prefer the study of space from the user perspective over that of the facade you mention in the last sentence, first since many of your colleagues are already studying facades and second because interior comfort is influenced by more than the facade.
So I would propose you try to define more closely what contributes to interior comfort and how you could set up a design scenario that allows you to research the question. A side of the room interfacing to the exterior probably should be a part of it, but I would put the focus on the question of what factors influence comfort and what factors in a design can influence them (dimensions of a room - where light sources/windows are positioned, what one sees etc.)
I hope this helps
Axel