Saturday, February 14, 2009

thoughts after the presentation


Thinking of my presentation, I feel that I have to reduce the fields of my interest more in order to reach a solution. I mentioned my interest in interior and factors that affect the inner comfort for a space. There are many different ways to examine the interior and inner comfort or the perception of space and many different fields to search.

To do a short review here are my research questions from Monday’s presentation:

• what are the needs of a user for a specific place?
• which are the factors that contribute to the inner comfort?
• how can natural lighting affect the perception for a space?
• how can all these factors lead to a design solution?

Some of them I should reevaluate and some need more specific approach

My reference to nature (as a possible field for my research) seems that it could have been missing from the presentation since it does not affect directly the research questions… I think for now I should keep it out of the scenery so that things become more clear to me.

So, I think it would be better if I choose one main factor that affects the interior ambience and try to combine it with more (one or two… more factors would make it complicated and difficult to control) and choose a process of testing my questions with orientation to the main factor. One of the main factors that interest me, as I mentioned in my presentation is natural lighting.

Talking about natural lighting in the interior the first thing that comes to my mind is the source of the light, easily translated to windows or in broad sense openings. A specific opening (area) for instance can let a specific amount of light to enter a space. The position of the opening can affect the amount of light that enters a space according to the sun position and the shape or the division in smaller openings (keeping the same area) can affect the way the natural light enters a place and the perception of people for the interior.

I am thinking I could start with a space and an opening with certain dimensions, and then change the position or shape of this light source keeping the same area. The same area can be divided to smaller pieces so that the light enters the space in different ways. Then with research by asking other people opinion or by using software for lighting or even doing both and compare the results I could reach a sort of solution and have some answers to my questions.

Before starting any research it should be clear which data I want to use from the software, if they are comparable to the peoples opinion and which questions I should ask for…

2 comments:

  1. Have you looked at the work of Bert van Diepen last semester (http://bertvandiepen.blogspot.com/), he took a similar approach with the color of artifical lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your idea of simplifying the research question initially to that of what effect changing the number, size and location of daylight sources can be a good way to begin your experimenting, Isaia.

    I hope you'll also be able to bring some of the other ideas from your presentation into play as your study progresses.

    For the next class (tomorrow) please formulate some hypotheses - that is, some guesses as to the effect of varying those factors above - which you would test, in order to help organize the testing you'll perform. Just as an example, which you may or may not agree with, is:
    "A large number of small openings near the tops and a small number of large openings around the bottoms of the walls will promote visual comfort and feelings of security and intimacy."

    André

    ReplyDelete